Re: Swamp Coolers vs A/C

From: MCATALANI@aol.com
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 08:50:09 PDT

Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 11:50:09 EDT
From: MCATALANI@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Swamp Coolers vs A/C

<< Here's another greenhouse question. Which is better if you are going to
 grow Nepenthes in a greenhouse, evaporative coolers or air conditioners? I
 understand evaporative coolers will cool a greenhouse down 10 to 15 degrees
 from the outside temperature. The 'Savage Garden' mentions a few cases
 where Nepenthes were grown with great success with greenhouses equipped with
 air conditioners.

 Ron >>

That depends on the type of Nepenthes you want to grow and the area of the
country you live in. If you want to grow the ultra-highlands (mild daytime
temps ,cold inght time) and the area of the country you live in doesnt see
night time temps fall into at least the 60's, then you'll need a/c to cool
down the greenhouse at night. You'd need the system designed so that the a/c
doesnt "freeze up" as it lowers the temperatures into at least mid 50's
farenheit. You'll probably need swamp coolers to keep the temperatures down
into the mid 80's during the day. I don't think here in Memphis that I could
keep enough a/c units running during the day to keep the temperatures down
when it's 105 degrees outside with full sun. Under these conditions, the
swamp cooler and fans run on high speed for most of the day. If Cliff Dodd
is still on the list, I would be interestde in knowing if he uses a
combination of swamp coolers and a/c, or just a/c in his setup.
Michael Catalani