Re: Ping dormancy questions

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2000 - 05:51:48 PDT

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:51:48 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Ping dormancy questions

Hi,

>P. Grandiflora:
>It's definitely going dormant. The last carnivorous leaf is turning
>brown at the edges, and I can see the resting bud forming in the
>center. This one is growing outside in the shade.
>Question: Should I start letting it dry out at all, or should I keep it
>permanently wet all winter?

Just keep the pot damp.

>P. Moranensis:
>Question: How do Mexican butterworts know when it's time to switch to
>succulent growth?
>The reason that this concerns me is that I have mine in a terrarium,
>indoors. It has a consistent 12-hour photoperiod. If they go by a
>change in photoperiod, that wouldn't trigger mine obviously. Or, does
>it go by temperature, or wetness, or simply by time? Do I need to do
>something to make it switch?
>Mine is currently still producing carnivorous leaves.
>Question: Should I start letting it dry out at some point? If so, do I
>take the initiative and "tell" it it's winter by letting it get dryer,
>or do I wait for the succulent leaves to start, and THEN do it?

The trigger for dormancy is probably a combination of day length and
cool temperatures. Most of my Mexican Pings will not go dormant until
around December in the UK when the day length is at its minimum and the
temperatures are turning cool.

I would not recommend drying the plant out to try to induce dormancy.
Once the plant is producing its succulent leaves you can then dry it out
though this is not strictly speaking vital with this species since it is
pretty accommodating whatever its conditions are.

Regards,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk
Web Site: www.pwilson.demon.co.uk