Re:Home Depot Nepenthes

From: Trent Meeks (flaneps@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 11:41:05 PDT

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 18:41:05 GMT
From: "Trent Meeks" <flaneps@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Home Depot Nepenthes

Hi Everyone,
I'm still around. Just doing more lurking as of late. Here on the east
coast, most Home Depot and supermarket Neps are coming from a massive
nursery in Belgium called Reginald DeRoose. These plants are tissue
cultured. Their catalog offers three Nepenthes: N. maxima, N. alata, and N.
coccinea. They are all strong clones that produce attractive pitchers, but
they are not pure species and/or hybrid. Because tissue cultured Neps
originate from seed, some pollination had to occur, and it appears that the
"named" plants bear the names of the female, pod bearing plants. The alata
is most definitely not pure alata, but appears to have some ventricosa in
its background. My guess is that the plant is actually N. alata x N.
ventrata. The maxima is a more complex situation, as we have I.D.ed three
different clones, one of which appears to be a true maxima! And a really
nice one, too! The most common of the three the DeRoose people in Apopka
called Maxima Superba. It is most definitely a hybrid; my guess: N. maxima
x N.superba--which is what it looks like if you've ever seen a N. xSuperba!
The third form of the so called N maxima looks like N. Mixta, and is most
likely N. maxima x N. mixta. This clone reminds me a lot of N. deslogesii,
and can produce pitchers over one foot long.
The N. coccinea no doubt had a female N. coccinea as the pod parent, and
since there appears to be both male and female clones of that old
Victorian-era hybrid, it may well be an F2 generation clone.

All of the DeRoose plants are vigorous and good looking. The alata has
bloomed frequently, and is a female. Two of the maxima clones have bloomed,
and both were male.

Hope this helps!

Until later,

Trent Meeks