Re: Home Depot Nepenthes

From: Richard Ellis (ricell@juno.com)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 10:56:06 PDT

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 11:56:06 -0600
From: Richard Ellis <ricell@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Home Depot Nepenthes

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000 11:02:27 -0700 (PDT) "R B" <eklaab@hotmail.com>
writes:
> I sent an email to Gubler's asking about this. This was the response
> from Chris Gubler in regards to the Nepenthes:
>
> "It is Nepenthes Maxima X unknown hybrid. Pitchers have been as
> large as 10 inches, with bright red striping."

This is interesting. Perhaps he is now only reproducing that one hybrid.
 Certainly my Gubler's Nepenthes (purchased from Eagle Hardware) looks
very N. maxima like. I think Trent believed it to be (N. maxima x (N.
maxima x N. alata)) which would coincide with what Chris is saying. It
is a nice hybrid - vigorous, compact growth, showy pitchers. However, at
one of our Rocky Mtn CP meetings, several people brought their maturing
Home Depot Nepenthes and they were clearly different hybrids. One of
them had no spotting at all and a narrow peristome - to me it looked like
a ventricosa alata hybrid. The other one had rather short squat
pitchers.