RE: Sarracenia psittacina

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 10:21:54 PDT

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 13:21:54 -0400
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Sarracenia psittacina

>This past summer, I had very good
>luck with a young psitt that I had in a five inch pot... I set it directly
IN
>my little pond next to my bog, the water level generally coming right
>up to the edge of the pot. (The water is rain water only, acidified with
>peat moss). It was in a lot of sun, but shaded somewhat by
>surrounding vegetation. The little psitt THRIVED in the pond, and
>looks ready to divide next spring. I've since taken it out of the pond,
>and it is spending the winter in my cool greenhouse.

I also have psittacinas in both bog and "pond" settings. I loose psitts
occassionally in bogs, mostly during winter, and probably from the cold
winds. I try now to let leaf fall remain on them during the winter to
provide protection. The "pond" psitts are actually growing in a plastic
container submerged in water for most of the year. They grow submerged in
water from about November, when the rains being, to late spring or
mid-summer, when the rains end. From mid summer through fall, they grow
partially submerged in water, being completely submerged periodically by me
as the water evaporates from the gallon container that they live in. I
started with three about 3 or 4 years ago and have lost one. The other two
are doing great. They remain outdoors during Atlanta's winters and freeze
probably a half dozen to dozen times. Occassionally, Atlanta gets a really
hard freeze and the poor little plants are suspended in frozen water. They
survive and apparently just love the more aquatic conditions.

The times I've bothered to pollinate, I've done cross pollination and gotten
very good seed production.

David
Atlanta