Re: N. vieillardii

From: Chris Teichreb (cteichreb@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2000 - 08:30:26 PDT

Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 08:30:26 PDT
From: "Chris Teichreb" <cteichreb@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: N. vieillardii

Hi Chuck,

>The N. vieillardii isn't doing real great, but I have always had
>a hard time growing that species. I've lost plants of it in warm
>conditions, and cool conditions, in bright light, in low light,
>in mixed medium, in long fiber sphagnum. I don't know what temps,
>light, or growing media it really likes.

   I've been doing work recently on the terrestrial environment
of New Caledonia, where this Nep comes from, plus have second
hand accounts from people who have seen it growing there in the
wild. First, it is a common 'weed' there like neps are in most
areas. It commonly grows at lower to mid elevations, but should
be treated as an intermediate Nepenthes (New Caledonia isn't quite
on the equator, so it somewhat cooler than tropical countries).

   There is a lot of rainfall, especially in the areas where
the neps grow, and especially in the early part of the year (January
to May), so it likes lots of water.

   Probably most important is the soil. The soil in this region
is predominantly lateritic, which means very low nutrients (P and
N) but high levels of iron, magnesium, manganese, nickel and
chromium. The soil consistency is described as "crumbly", so
very loose and well drained. pH is circumneutral or even somewhat
basic.

   My recommendation, add some lateritic clay and avoid peat moss.
Of course, what works in the wild may not work in cultivation!

Good luck,

Chris

http://profiles.msn.com.