FW: Pest control with CP

From: Stefan P. Wolf (wolf@med2.uni-kiel.de)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 09:26:11 PST

Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 18:26:11 +0100
From: "Stefan P. Wolf" <wolf@med2.uni-kiel.de>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: FW: Pest control with CP

Hi Jon!

> Your website is very clear and easy to understand.

Thanks a lot!

> I am a highschool teacher in Hawaii looking for a natural way to
> control insects in my hydroponic greenhouses. I want to control
> mosquitos.
> Can you help me find a carnivorous plant susitable for hawaii to
> control insects in agriculute, including mediterranian fruit flys?
> We want to propogate these species for farmers in Hawaii as a
> natural pest control. Our tropical climate seems a natural growing
> environment. Please offier advice.

I'm not specialized in pest control by means of CP but as far as
I know CP can only reduce but not totally get rid of insect
populations (they're not meant to as this would mean they lose
their food supply -- nature always tries to balance). I read
articles about aquatic Utricularia being used in trials to control
mosquito larvae in ponds but I fear they learned it was only a
reduction, no real control. Above all, this doesn't help your
greenhouses as this CP would not kill your adult mosquito but only
larvae in each CP tank so all the larvae in the hydroponic containers
would grow adult unaffected.

Speaking of introducing CP "big style" to control pests: please
always consider the risk of ecological effects on the local flora
and fauna by introducing a species to a habitat where it is not
found naturally.

Anyway, I will forward your message to the international CP mailing
list -- anyone reading this and wanting to comment please send your
thoughts directly to Jon at mailto:hydroed@aloha.net

Best regards, Stefan.

--
Dipl.-Inform. Stefan P. Wolf
mail : Zehlendorfer Str. 69, 24111 Kiel, GERMANY