re: D. burmanii size / glanduligera

From: Ivan Snyder (bioexp@juno.com)
Date: Sun Nov 19 2000 - 10:20:46 PST

Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 10:20:46 -0800
From: Ivan Snyder <bioexp@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: D. burmanii size / glanduligera

>Just back to the Drosera burmanii size debate: I saw the biggest
>ones I have ever seen this week - had the ruler ready to tell me of
>8cm plus monsters - but was suprised that they were only 5cm in
>diameter!! So I withdraw my recent declaration of 6.5cm plants.
>Best,
>Richard.

Oh well, 5 cm is plenty large for such a heavy duty trapper as D.
burmanii. Another Australian sundew with even faster moving tentacles is
D. glanduligera. They are so fast in this species that if you blink your
eyes you will miss it, no joking! I discovered this myself
serendipitously and could not believe it. I read a report that claimed D.
glanduligera can attain 4 cm in diameter. My homegrown plants only
reached 2 cm at most. Maybe the reported 4 cm plants were actually D.
burmanii, with which they are sometimes confused.
Ivan Snyder
Hermosa Beach
California
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!