Re: on that red filiformis & U.S. stamps

From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
Date: Sun Nov 19 2000 - 12:28:59 PST

Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 15:28:59 EST
From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: on that red filiformis & U.S. stamps

Howdy, Peter here at California Carnivores. Ivan pointed out that I should
have mentioned that at first there was some suspicion that this weird all red
D. filiformis was identified as ssp. filiformis, like the so called florida
giant plant (which apparently Don Schnell did identify as ssp. filiformis and
not ssp. tracyi). But when I checked with Joe M., the red plant has not been
so identified as yet, so we'll have to wait for Doctor Don or some other
brilliant taxonomist to check the plant out for subspecies status.
    In other news: I had meant to make an announcement at the CP Conference
last June that I wanted to start a campaign to get the United States to issue
carnivorous plant stamps, but unfortunately had to leave early. Anyway, I
have just seen photos of four new stamps to be issued next year: A
Darlingtonia, Dionaea, Sarracenia (looks like flava) and Drosera (looks like
intermedia or anglica), very handsome paintings indeed. Finally the U.S. will
join the many countries issuing carnivorous plant stamps! Seeya.
Peter