Tannins

From: john green (thegreens13@juno.com)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 13:02:06 PST

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 16:02:06 -0500 (EST)
From: john green <thegreens13@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Tannins

First of all, much thanks to the ICPS membership folks. I've decided to
become a member again and only sent in my membership a couple of weeks ago,
and I've already rec'd the back issues I requested. I may try out the
seedbank now! :-)

I read an article by Rob Sacilotto (Botanique Nursery) in the June '98 issue
and he says "Some [Sarracenia] may require tannins to produce pigment,
others may not." Is it known which ones require tannins? I would guess
that the more colorful varieties would benefit more from tannins, like the
red and black-tube varieties of flava and alata maybe? I was under the
impression that peat moss and chopped pine needles when wetted will leach
out tannins but I don't know for how long. Is there a way to increase the
amount of tannins in my bog or should I even worry about it? Thanks in
advance for any information on this subject.

John Green
Salt Lake City, Utah
john.green@ascensus.com
http://homestead.juno.com/thegreens13