RE: Tannins

From: john green (thegreens13@juno.com)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2000 - 08:02:05 PST

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:02:05 -0500 (EST)
From: john green <thegreens13@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Tannins

Botanique [mailto:botaniqu@pitcherplant.com] wrote:
>First, the article on tannins,"The Use of Tannic Teas in Carnivorous Plant
>Culture" appeared in Dec. 1996 volume 25, number 4 issue of the Carnivorous
>Plant Newsletter. This was a summary of some experiments involving tannins
>in Sarracenia pigment, morphology and also effects in other CP.

Actually, the article I read was really about the need/usefulness in keeping
location information for plants in a collection (June 98 - it has S. x
'Ladies in Waiting' on the cover). The sentence I quoted was just a single
line that caught my eye and got me thinking about my own plants.

>This was not a "one paragraph" subject, and my apologies if this was a bit
>tedious to read. Easy answers, on this subject, are trademarks of an
>untrained mind. This subject is not simple, but I hope the important points
>can be extracted by the reader, used to better their growing skills, and
>perhaps encourage others to set up legitimate experiments, rather than
>illegitimate comments, opinions, etc. I am still working on this subject
>and hope to publish some updates once I get more info nailed down.
>Meanwhile, see the above mentioned article for recipe information and other
>helpful hints.

It sounds like I may have offended you - that was not my intention. And
please forgive my limited knowledge of things botanical; I'm an accountant,
although I love biology, etc. I know rose growers advocate using "peat
teas" for roses, so I'm aware that many people feel it is very beneficial.
Since I'm trying to grow CPs in Utah (far from their native habitats) my
plants need all the help they can get. As for the article, I would very
much appreciate it if you posted it on your website (I only ordered '98 back
issues and my wife is never thrilled about the money I spend on CPs ;-), but
she tolerates it). Thank you for taking the time to respond and share your
knowledge.

John Green
Salt Lake City, Utah
john.green@ascensus.com