Re: Danged Fungus Gnats

From: Davidogray@aol.com
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 08:34:11 PST

Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 11:34:11 EST
From: Davidogray@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Danged Fungus Gnats

Hey all,
I've found a thick layer of sharp white silica sand keeps those danged fungus
gnats at bay; they can't get through it to lay their eegs and their life
cycle is broken ( of course, the larvae that are in the media are still free
to eat the roots off your precious plants; spray first ). You have to use a
thick layer of sand, at least a half an inch ( 8mm. ) and cover all the soil
in all the pots.

Also, there is a selected form of the bacteria Baccillus thuringensis for
gnats that is commercially available, but I can't recall the brand name (
list readers? ). Its used as a soil drench. This product is effective and
non-toxic to everything except the danged gnats, but smells prettty funny for
a couple days.

FWIW,
Cheers,
David