Re: The Colour Out of Space - strange nep crumbling problem

From: Chris Teichreb (cteichreb@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 07:56:40 PST

Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 07:56:40 -0800
From: "Chris Teichreb" <cteichreb@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: The Colour Out of Space - strange nep crumbling problem

Hi Leon,

>The 2 most recent pitchers have strange things happening w/ the lid. It
>seems to have a burn or "pucker", it opens prematurely, and the pitcher
>does
>not fully develop. The first time it happened I thought it might

>curled. It has slowly opened and revealed a mystery. 1 side of the leaf is
>growing fairly normally but the other has these strange notches in it. It
>is almost a saw tooth edge. I considered a bug there too but it

   With respect to these two issues, both have happened to Nep plants
of mine, and both have happened when the plant was stressed.
Generally, this has occurred for me when I've changed the environment
drastically (new soil, change in humidity, change in light).

   The good news is that this is usually a temporary set back and
the plants recover quite well with no long-lasting ill effects.
Neps (at least my Neps) are a lot tougher than people give them
credit for. Mine have gone without water to the point where the
soil had shrunk in the pot, and survive being shoved outside in
the spring with no regards to the sudden temperature, humidity and
light change. They all survive. Of course, I mainly grow the
easier (ie: cheaper) species and hybrids :)!

Hope that helps.

Chris