The Colour Out of Space - strange nep crumbling problem

From: Leon Phaby (phungi@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Dec 05 2000 - 06:35:52 PST

Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 14:35:52 +0000
From: "Leon Phaby" <phungi@worldnet.att.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: The Colour Out of Space - strange nep crumbling problem

I have a few problems.
I have what I believe is a N. ventrata.
The 2 most recent pitchers have strange things happening w/ the lid. It
seems to have a burn or "pucker", it opens prematurely, and the pitcher does
not fully develop. The first time it happened I thought it might have been
a bug, oh well, it happens. Now it has a beautiful pitcher about 1/2 formed
with the same thing. It started opening yesterday. It has a spot on the
side of the lid that seems to stop growing, turns brown, contracts and pulls
the lid open. Otherwise the plant seems to be doing great. It is growing
frighteningly fast and pitchering w/ every leaf.

I also have a n. Judith Finn that has a spotty history. It has 1 large,
gorgeous pitcher. The next leaf's "bud" started to grow, then froze. The
next leaf opened about 1/2 way then the tendril curled up. A new leaf came
out from the curly one and is doing great, the first leaf that froze resumed
growth and the 2 pitchers are developing nicely. Back to the leaf that
curled. It has slowly opened and revealed a mystery. 1 side of the leaf is
growing fairly normally but the other has these strange notches in it. It
is almost a saw tooth edge. I considered a bug there too but it doesn't
really look eaten, more like it dried and as it opens, it tears, but only on
1 side of this 1 leaf. Again, it has stunted growth, but only on that 1
side. I have several other plants that all seem to be doing well.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

My last question is about dormancy. I have some sarrecinia & flytraps
outside in pots. I live in San Francisco, ca & I thought it would get just
cold enough to induce sleep. They are all growing, even the flytraps who
are in the shade.

I know there are other SF residents on this list, what do you think? Should
I give it another few weeks or should I cut off the growth & stick them in
the fridge? I don't really want to do this but I'm getting nervous.

Gratefully,
Leon.