Re: Pinguicula leaf cuttings

From: Dave Evans (dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 18:08:32 PST

Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 21:08:32 -0500
From: "Dave Evans" <dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Pinguicula leaf cuttings

Dear Miguel,

> How does one deal with the plantlets at this stage? Most are in sphagnum,
> which is not the medium I intend to use to grow the adult plants. Some are
> in the adult medium, but seem to be developing no roots either. Will the
> plantlets grow roots naturally as a response to lower atmospheric humidity
> (if I take them out of the crib I used to strike them)?

    No. I assume we are talking about Pings from Mexico? There are four
different types from there and those most popular in cultivation tend to
grow roots almost as an afterthought. I would keep the rosettes in higher
humidity until they become larger, like half the size of the parent. Then
start lowering the humidity to what the parents are comfortable with. Most
of the time I just place a clear plastic cup over the rosettes that are
still too small after transplanting from propagation. Lately, though I just
break off leaves and let them lie next to the parent rosettes. The babies
grow much slower and are less plentiful in the lower humidity however.

Dave Evans