Re: Sterile Nepenthes Hybrids

From: MCATALANI@aol.com
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 07:54:56 PST

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 10:54:56 EST
From: MCATALANI@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sterile Nepenthes Hybrids

<< Well, he is saying that while some *genera* most often produce sterile
 hybrids, some others produce hybrids that are nearly as fertile as the
 parent species. He is *not* talking about Nepenthes, which is only one
 genus, but in general about many genera of tropical plants. >>

Hey Dave,
Yes, he changed over to speaking of genera, but I took it that he was
possibly applying it to some Nepenthes species in the wild. When I built my
original quote, this was one of the references. I was also building it on the
information from other growers that certain hybrids of Nepenthes appeared to
be sterile, since they were unsuccesful in crossing them further. Whether or
not this is true is yet to be determined. I think the main problem is with
my quote on the web page, which needs to be reworded.
Michael