Re: Nepenthes Hybrids In The Wild

From: MCATALANI@aol.com
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 09:35:32 PST

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 12:35:32 EST
From: MCATALANI@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:  Nepenthes Hybrids In The Wild

<< I'm not sure that complex hybrids of Nepenthes are that rare, just rare
 compared to the parent species and F1 hybrids. >>

Hybrids from 2 Nepenthes parents which then backcross with themselves and the
two parents (swarms) are apparantly common, but Clarke notes that complex
hybrids which involve 3 or more species are rare. They do occur, but one
could see where they would be exponentially less frequent than standard two
parent hybrids. I guess you could say that although they are not easily
found, they have no problem forming undre the correct conditions. I can even
relate this to Sarracenia, where I have seen fields that contained flava,
leucophylla, purpurea, and psittacina. Hybrids between flava and purpurea
were plentiful, as were leucophylla x purpurea. But complex crosses involving
three parents could not be found. Certainly they could exist in this field,
probably did exist at some time in the past, and could easily be formed again
in the future. They just weren't there then, or were so few that I did not
see them.

<< I suspect that the reason the hybrids don't do so well is that the
parent species are much more adapt at competing in their particular niches.

Even though most Nepenthes hybrids exhibit "vigor", I do agree with your
point. I believe there have been some examples of Nepenthes hybrids which are
more difficult to grow than either parent. For example, N. murudensis may
have been created by N. reinwardtiana and tentaculata crossing, backcrossing,
and eventually forming a population that stabilized itself. Both N.
tentaculata and N. reinwardtiana are easy to grow, one reason being they have
a wide elevation distribution. (Reinwardtiana grows from sea level to about
2500M, and tentaculata from 700M to 2500M) I have found that N. murudensis,
which is found between 2300M-2500M appears to need highland conditions to
survive in cultivation, and is much more difficult than either of its
probable parents. If this is in fact the case, I can see where Nepenthes
hybrids can be created in the wild which may have very restrictive
requirements, and changes in nature could cause these populations to be wiped
out. This would further make it difficult for complex crosses to occur in the
wild. Of course, until I get to Borneo myself, I have to rely upon those who
study these plants in the wild.

<< BTW, if N. cincta is really a natural cross between N. northiana and N.
 albomarginata, I really, really doubt it is an F1 hybrid. I wonder what
 sort of population N. cincta has in the wild, many or just a couple plants?

Now thats a good question. If the ICPS holds its next meeting in Borneo, we
can check them out ourselves. Bau is just a short jump from Malesiana
Tropicals in Kuching, which would be a mandatory place to stop. Apparantly
there was enough of a population at one time for someone to bring it back to
Europe (I believe it was Curtis) as a new species.

Michael