Re: Multiflowering N. spathulata x maxima

From: MCATALANI@aol.com
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 10:00:10 PST

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 13:00:10 EST
From: MCATALANI@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Multiflowering N. spathulata x maxima

<< Interesting discussion. Here's my two cents (actually Rupees in Sri Lanka)
 worth: I checked out the photo on your web site Michael, and it looks to
 me as if that plant may possibly be flowering due to stress. The pot may
 be too small perhaps and it may be feeling "pot-bound", or perhaps some
 other environmental factor. Anyway, it does seem abnormal for such a young
 plant to have produced three flower spikes already. >>

The plant had really grown in size a couple of months before it started
flowering.
Normally, I would have repotted, but held off when it decided to flower. It
really needs to be repotted now, but I'll probably hold off to see if it
continues to flower or if it stops. I do think its stress related, but just
for fun I may let it see how long it goes on.

<<Nepenthes flower without upper pitchers quite often. The factors
determining flowering are probably more to do with environmental conditions
and the general condition of the plant than anything else. >>

It made sense to me that it could happen, I just haven't seen it in
cultivation or seen it referenced otherwise that it could occur.

Michael