Re: Nepenthes Soil

From: Christer Berglund (christer.berglund@privat.utfors.se)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 13:13:37 PST

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 22:13:37 +0100
From: Christer Berglund <christer.berglund@privat.utfors.se>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes Soil

Hi ,

I use pure live sphagnum as a medium for my nepenthes, which are being
kept enclosed in a terrarium. To keep the sphagnum from decomposing I
place pieces of aquarium filter foam (sturdy and blue) at the bottom of
the pots which makes it very "airy". I don't fertilize and have only
used "pure" water (distilled/reverse osmosis or rain water), and that
certainly helps keeping the moss fresh too. Since I haven't experimented
much with different soils, I don't know how it compares to other growing
mixes (in plant growth rate). I suppose large (top heavy) plants in this
light weight medium would pose a problem, but my plants are of modest
sizes yet, so this is not an issue for me at this time.

Anyway, species like singalana, ampullaria, veitchii, tobaica,
ventricosa, macfarlanei and rafflesiana has been growing in the same
moss for over 2 years, and others like inermis, lowii, eymae, bellii,
carunculata var. robusta, for a year and a half. So far so good....

Good luck,

--
Christer Berglund
E-mail: christer.berglund@privat.utfors.se