Nepenthes cotyledons

From: Steven Stewart (steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Dec 16 2000 - 05:38:43 PST

Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 08:38:43 -0500
From: "Steven Stewart" <steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes cotyledons

Hello,
I am germinating many Nepenthes seedlings, and am noticing a substancial
number have either three or one cotyledon(s) rather than the dicotyledon
standard of two. I first noticed this abnormality several years ago when
germinating Nepenthes truncata seeds Cliff Dodd had produced. I have not
seen N. ventricosa do this, but several hybrids and species have germinated,
with an odd cotyledon number. I am sure I have not seen as many germinating
Nepenthes as the more experienced growers have, but have not seen any
mention of this topic. I just wanted to share this observation, in case it
may be more common than just in my seeds. Of course environmental factors
could be the cause, I am aware, but I do wonder if any other propagators
have noticed similar features in Nepenthes seedlings.
Take care,
Steven Stewart
Sanford, Fl. USA