Halogen lamps

From: Francesc Maynou (maynouf@icm.csic.es)
Date: Sat Dec 16 2000 - 06:09:55 PST

Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 15:09:55 +0100 (CET)
From: Francesc Maynou <maynouf@icm.csic.es>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Halogen lamps

Dear list members,

I am trying to provide adequate light for a small Nepenthes terrarium.
I've read quite a lot about the subject (including many posts on this
list) and still am not clear about the subject of Halogen lamps. Most
people recommend standard white fluorescent lamps for growing CPs but I
don't have space for these, as they're usually 2 ft or more. On the
other hand I found that a number of halogen lamps ranging of 100 W or
more may provide 2000 or more lm, which I believe is adequate for
growing Neps. So, is there a problem with using halogen lamps (I am
thinking for instance in OSRAM's Halolux, Halolux CERAM or Haloline
products)?

Thank you for your help and Merry Xmas to all,

Francesc