Re: Halogen lamps

From: Davidogray@aol.com
Date: Sun Dec 17 2000 - 06:16:59 PST

Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 09:16:59 EST
From: Davidogray@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Halogen lamps

Hello list and Francesc,
I concur with Joe: halogen lamps are usually not used for plant growth
because they are very hot, too hot to be used in an enclosed environment in
most cases. Additionally, they produce a light of a very yellow color which
is not particularly good for plant growth.

Florescent lamps produce the best light for plant growth and are the most
economical to use. I've grown under artificial light for over 25 years, and
can recommend them for all CP except Sarracenia. If the length of the tubes
is the problem, several manufacturers now make compact florescent lights for
terrariums. One manufacturer's product I've seen, is that of teh company ESU;
you can see more about their product at http://www.esuweb.com/HTML/R_HP.htm
I'm not sure if they make these for European electrical standards or not, but
I expect there are equivalent products made there.

If the use of florescents are not a possibility, you should investigate the
smaller metal halide bulbs and fixtures, but again, beware that they produce
a lot of heat and are not recommended for enclosed terraria. Others on the
list may have more to say about those.

Cheers,
David
San Francisco, where its clear, with some ground fog, 90% relative humidity,
and 46 deg. F. ( 7 deg. C. )