Grasshoppers

From: Steven Stewart (steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Dec 22 2000 - 06:41:35 PST

Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 09:41:35 -0500
From: "Steven Stewart" <steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Grasshoppers

Hello again,
Here in Florida, we have many assorted insect problems. Nylon netting is
great for a temporary fix. It is sold in reams or rolls very cheaply in
discount stores here in the US. White nylon netting will allow light through
while keeping larger insects away. I need to use it in the spring and fall
to keep the Sarracenia from over-eating "love-bugs", which fill the
pitchers, and promptly rot inside making a memorable smell. An interesting
note on grasshoppers, I have put many healthy large, healthy individuals
into mature Nepenthes bicalcarata pitchers, and have never seen one escape
or damage my plants in any way. This Nepenthes species has tough leaves and
I have not ever seen an insect eat them. Scale insects can attack them, but
I haven't seen any grasshopper, or other leaf eater damage- yet.
Take care,
Steven Stewart