RE"this is my plant set up"

From: Leon Phaby (phungi@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Dec 23 2000 - 00:36:47 PST

Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 08:36:47 +0000
From: "Leon Phaby" <phungi@worldnet.att.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE"this is my plant set up"

Spooky!
I have spent the last week considering almost the same set up, with the
exceptions of the tanks. I have been growing the majority of my plants in a
little nook with a window on cobbled together shelves. It is cramped & I
ran out of room a while ago. Of course this didn't stop me from buying more
plants.

My room mate just conceded the breakfast nook & I have so much room! The
room is roughly 6' square, ooooh the spaaaaaace! It makes me shiver. The
only thing I still wonder about is lighting. For this large(er) room I keep
wondering if I should try a high pressure sodium set up, or son-agro. I
understand that they are cheaper than florescents to run, even though the
initial cost is a killer! The room is large enough that I doubt the heat
from the HID's would be a problem, I could always crack a window. This way I
can move my sarracenia inside as well. This year the local pigeon
population exploded & everything is disappearing under a layer of droppings.
I'm also considering the shelves & florescents on one wall & the HID on a
moving track for the rest of the room. I also grow a few orchids &
bromeliads & I'm sure they would love this set up.

With the skyrocketing cost of electricity here in San Fran, I have to be
insane! I'm going to wind up spending more on my plants' upkeep than I do
on myself! The cost of obsession, perhaps I should consider therapy instead?