Re: Book Project

Michael Hasemann (jmh@tko.vtt.fi)
Fri, 8 Oct 1993 09:59:23 +0200

On Thu, 7 Oct 1993, Pekka Ala-Siuru wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Oct 1993, James Powell wrote:

> > I have pretty limited space, so I doubt I could be the US site. I'd
> > be willing to scan photos, markup contributed text, etc. I just put
> > a small example of what I had in mind up at my site. If you have a
> > WWW client, point it at http://borg.lib.vt.edu/cp/cp.html and take a
> > look. While theres nothing I can do for people that don't have
> > something like X or MacMosaic at there site today, we could tar and
> > compress the web documents and make them available for anonymous
> > FTP, allowing them to install the files locally. This might evolve
> > into a CDROM product if it grew larger and there was sufficient
> > interest. What do you have in mind - is it similar to what I have
> > up?
> >
> Space limitations are obvious also here. I browsed your http:
> location; that's just what I was thinking about.
>
> Michael: I think we could first establish the FAQ, as you mentioned,
> -and after that is in some condition then put it to hypertext; the
> problem is here that hypertext structure is not linear, it must be
> hierarchical or somekind of a net. In this case we have natural
> hierarchy in the cp genuses.
>
> ..Pekka

Pekka: I think hypertext is good idea but about the structure if we
agree to go beyond linear texts like ordinary books or faqs we first
need to agree on common technological basis, which I am afraid does not
exist for everyone (what's about Hypercard but who calls a Macintosh
his/her own). In addition to that their are many possible structure
which can be integrate within a hypertext at the same time. (taxonomy,
culture, picture references, geography) All this is matter of prior
discussion and I am really afraid this goes far beyond what is needed
and what is feasible to be done within our list, where a lot of people
most of them sharing only their hobby of CPs and are otherwise origining
from very remote areas.

--Michael