Re: Nepenthes leaves

Kyle J Williams (kwilliam@trumpet.aix.calpoly.edu)
Tue, 5 Apr 1994 16:45:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 5 Apr 1994 Ctcreel@top.cis.syr.edu wrote:

> Is it just my imagination or is it that my Nepenthes really do suffer when
> I lop off a leaf?
>
> On all other plants that I have dealt with, careful pruning increases the
> growth or the plant and keeps it healthy.
>
> When I cut off lower seemingly useless leaves the plant seems to dramatically
> slow in growth. Is this the case or am I looking for the wrong correlation?
>
> Chris

What do you consider "seemingly useless"? If the top part of a pitcher
is dead but the bottom is still alive it may not be catching any more
insects, but it is still digesting the ones it already has. If the
entire pitcher is dead but the leafy part (I think it is technically the
leaf petiole) is green it is still carrying out photosynthesis and is
useful to the plant. If the leaf is dead or yellow it should not affect
the plants growth.

-Kyle