Re: D.hetrophylla

John Taylor (rphjt@minyos.xx.rmit.EDU.AU)
Wed, 22 Feb 1995 12:08:51 +1100

>From: bertozzi.terry@wpo.pi.sa.gov.au
>To: Multiple recipients of list <cp@opus.hpl.hp.com>
>Subject: D.heterophylla and Sarracenia seedlings

>>(Barry wrote:)
>>Am I the only one who is absolutely fascinated by
>>_D.heterophylla_?
>>This is the only _Drosera_ which has neither four or five
>>petals---it has ten or more! And it also has approximately the
>>same number of anthers. My plant is flowering now and it is very
>>strange to see.
>
>Some of us are intersted but need to wait for the plant to get
>larger than last year's 5cm. Come on winter!

I've only ever seen this plant from Allen Lowrie's photos, but it is indeed
a very attractive plant. I was going to buy some seed, but the lure of
a reddish D.gigantea won me over... ;-)

It would be interesting to try hybridising with this species - although I
haven't heard of any tuberous Drosera hybrids being grown.

| John Taylor [Catweasel] | Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology |
| rphjt@minyos.xx.rmit.edu.au | Melbourne, Victoria, AUSTRALIA |