Re: Sarracenia Stratification...

Pekka Ala-Siuru (pal@tko.vtt.fi)
Tue, 6 Jun 1995 07:31:02 +0300 (EET DST)

On Mon, 5 Jun 1995, Michael Zenner wrote:

> Hello everyone.
> I'm now getting ready to try to grow some sarrs from seed, which I
> have never done before. I've been looking through Slack's books, as well as
> Cheers', and haven't seen anything definite about which sarrs need to be
> stratified and how. I've heard one rather involved procedure for S.
> Oreophila, which involved planting the seeds, sealing them in a propogating
> done and leaving them out all winter. If there is a less involved way, I'd
> be very happy to hear about it. I'm also growing S. Leucophylla, S. Flava,
> S. Minor and S. Rubra. Do these all need to be stratified?
> Thanks much,

Michael, I have stratified all _S. leucophylla,flava,rubra,purpurea etc.
hybrids. Here in Northern Finland the May temperatures get usually very
low (sometimes below zero) so I simply put the seedling tray
outdoors in the beginning of May, I got in three weeks nearly all
them to germinate very well...

..Pekka
Pekka Ala-Siuru
Senior Analyst, Embedded Knowledge-Based Systems
VTT Electronics, P.O.Box 1100, FIN-90571, Oulu,Finland
Tel. +358 81 551 2461, Telefax +358 81 551 2320
http://www.ele.vtt.fi/