Re: Sarracenia stratification

John Taylor (rphjt@minyos.xx.rmit.EDU.AU)
Tue, 6 Jun 1995 16:57:44 +1000

On Mon, 5 Jun 1995, Michael Zenner wrote:

> Hello everyone.
> I'm now getting ready to try to grow some sarrs from seed, which I
> have never done before. I've been looking through Slack's books, as well as
> Cheers', and haven't seen anything definite about which sarrs need to be
> stratified and how. I've heard one rather involved procedure for S.
> Oreophila, which involved planting the seeds, sealing them in a propogating
> done and leaving them out all winter. If there is a less involved way, I'd
> be very happy to hear about it. I'm also growing S. Leucophylla, S. Flava,
> S. Minor and S. Rubra. Do these all need to be stratified?
> Thanks much,

I usually stratify all Sarracenia species (and most other plants). Simply
place the seeds in an air-tight container (zip-lock bag, 35mm film case, etc)
and put them in the *non*-freezing section of a fridge for 6 weeks or so.
(The original method I have suggests placing a plug of moistened sphagnum moss
in the container, probably to prevent the seed from dehydrating).

After stratification, soak the seeds overnight in a jar of lukewarm water,
shaking the seeds into the water occasionally. Plant out the seeds which have
sunk to the bottom - soak any floating seeds until they sink before planting
them.

BFN

| John Taylor [Catweasel] | Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology |
| rphjt@minyos.xx.rmit.edu.au | Melbourne, Victoria, AUSTRALIA |