Re: Re: defunct drosera, hungry Nepenthes

Steve Clancy (slclancy@uci.edu)
Fri, 16 Jun 1995 14:48:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 15 Jun 1995, dave evans wrote:

> > From: Steve Clancy <slclancy@UCI.EDU>
> >
> > I use a soap spray with Ivory (white or clear) dishwashing soap in
> > distilled water. About 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoons in about 1 1/2 pints (size of
> > a typical pump hand-sprayer) for both aphids and spider-mites. It works
> > pretty well.
>
> Could you tell us what species you are using this on please?
>
> Thanks
> Dave Evans

I have used it with success on VFT, Drosera capensis and Drosera adelae.
If the concentration is too strong, there may be some die back. I use
this mainly for spider-mites on CP, and I cut off all infected or dead
leaves first. Sometimes this means cutting off everything except the
growing tip. It's important to spray all sides of any leaves that are left.
Often only 1-2 treatments are needed.

Sometimes the moss around the CP will die back a bit.

I have used it for aphids in the garden on everything froms roses to
succulents.

There was a recent thread on the cactus and succulents listserv (which is
on this same listserver) about insecticidal soaps.

-- Steve

Steve Clancy
Science Library
University of California, Irvine
P.O. Box 19556
Irvine, CA 92713-9556
U.S.A.
714-824-7309
slclancy@uci.edu
http://orion.oac.uci.edu/~sclancy/

[Please quote this message when you reply]