Re: Seeking Hardy Venus Flytrap Seeds or Plants

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Mon, 24 Jul 95 20:13 EDT

> From: Fred Lenherr <lenherr@MILDURA.CS.UMASS.EDU>
>
> I live in central Massachusetts, Zone 5 (min. temp
> 10 - 20 below F.)
>
> I'm interested in trying to breed plants hardy enough
> to survive our winters (unless someone already has such
> plants).

Me too! The VFT should already be hardy enough to survive there.

> I am currently propagating VF's by cutting, seed, and
> tissue culture. I have made 4 small outdoor bogs, and
> would place the seedling there, with some protection
> for the first few years.
>
> Fred K. Lenherr

The VFT likes it's summers to be hot. Just something to kept in mind.
I don't think any VFT would survive a Mass. winter without being
mulched because their wet/damp environment promotes alot of frost
heaving which in turn exposes them to conditions where they will
freeze dry. Something I'm familar with here in New Jersey.

Dave Evans