Re: Leuo bog... Gone!

Whirlabout@aol.com
Tue, 24 Oct 1995 20:11:11 -0400

In a message dated 95-10-21 21:38:25 EDT, C. Mazur writes:

<snip-snip>
>I really don't feel that small collections made by responsible hobbiests
>is the problem. Mass collection for trade is bad, but by far, the worst
>threat to Sarracenia stands in the south is habitat destruction by
>developers and corporations.

I don't really disagree, a bulldozer can wipe out in seconds what would take
weeks for collectors. The collector's damage also has some hope of
rejuvenating from seeds and broken roots. However, I don't think that it's
the 'responsible hobbiests' which do the damage - it's the irresponsible-jerk
types either trying to make a buck or just needing to get the rarest of the
rare. These people should be justifiably treated as pariahs. How many people
on the list still purchase from the (unnamed) nursery with unsavory
practices? I know that they'll never get another cent from me or anyone I
know (they got some $$ from me 10++ yrs ago when I was a young lad... sorry
to say).

After perusing some of the other responses to this thread... several people
commented about the Wetlands Protection Act and how this large company may be
creating 'equivalent' wetlands elsewhere (however inappropriate). Unless this
land was being developed for a mall or housing complex where an environmental
assessment was mandated - I think this is bordering on delusional. A large
lumber company 'improving' the drainage on some remote area of its private
property? Can anyone really believe that they have it in them to just
recreate wetlands without being forced? Has no one else ever worked for a
company that had at least some of the attributes attributed to Perot by
another writer (bulldoze first - ask questions later)?

Doesn't anyone have any Environmental Engineer friends or buddies in the EPA
that they can check with? This *seems* wrong in a major way. I'd like to see
a counter argument for Sarracenia and associated flora not being adequate
indicator species for a wetland.

Blood still boiling....

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
- George Eliot

Ron Lane
whirlabout@aol.com
Central New Jersey, USA