Re: Re: Re: Mushrooms with my VFT

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Fri, 17 Nov 95 16:42 EST

> From: bosco@INTERACCESS.COM(Doug Bosco)
>
> Whoa! 5000 sexes?? Like what would sex #3040 be? I mean would it be a
> totally different sex or a differing degree of maleness or femaleness?

Doug,

It's seems as though it is not a matter of male or female. Fungus don't
have bodies, unlike plants and animals, just (most often) a string of
cells. It's the DNA of the fungus that decides if it can undergo sexual
reproduction with another set of genes from a different clone(?). I
don't really understand it, but I guess fungus just has more options
available since it needs no special organs or systems to carry out
sexual reproduction in.

Dave Evans