Re: Indoor Lighting Systems

Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Mon, 8 Jan 1996 16:52:26 -0500 (EST)

Demetrios wrote:

> I want to get a multi-shelved lighting system (preferably
> with adjustible shelf heights) to grow some carnivorous
> plants indoors. So far the only plant related catalogues
> I've seen have one or at the most two styles available at
> very expensive prices...

I believe you may be referring to the variety of shelf units
with fluorescent lights, and a frame of aluminum tubing. Some
of them are available with wheels. Yes, these are very
expensive and not necessarily best suited for growing CPs.

The best advice I can offer, from my own experience, is
to forget about the commercial units. You'll do better
to build your own. The shelf units have features that
you won't need. So, you can build something more
suited to growing CPs for less money. At some places
you can purchase 4-foot long fluorescent fixtures for
not a whole lot of money. The framing is up to your
own design and construction skills, not to mention your
imagination.

Perry