re: P. moranensis leaf cuttings

L235@aol.com
Thu, 8 Feb 1996 15:59:11 -0500

In CP Digest 614, Clarke Brunt writes:

>On 1 Feb 96 at 12:31, Robert Allen wrote:
>[about Pinguicula moranensis]

>> It's now making the winter leaves. Since you're
>> growing it indoors I would try to dry it out
>> significantly until it starts putting out the
>> summer leaves again. Also note that it is
>> claimed that the thicker winter leaves are the
>> best for rooting to produce leaf bud plants.

>The latter is certainly true - Summer leaves are hopeless
>for leaf cuttings, while the Winter ones work quite well.

Is that necessarily so? I took summer leaves from my P. moranensis x ehlersai
(?) in October and of the three that I tried, one sprouted 10 shoots, all of
which are growing nicely under lights right now. (the other two leaves
rotted). Conditions were roughly as follows: high humidity (under plastic)
peat/perlite media, moderately to slightly damp, and about 70-75 degrees F.

Is the fact that summer leaves worked in this case a result of the
hybridization? Just wondering.

Jay Lechtman
L235@aol.com