Re: virus clean-up

Peter Cole (carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 17 Feb 1996 12:55:40 GMT

Loren Russell <loren@PEAK.ORG> writes:

> I'm not at all knowledgable on CV viruses, but the general rule
> in horticulture is that plant viruses are not transmitted in seed or
> pollen; therefore frequent propagation by seed is advised for renewing
> stock in such groups as lilies....

Are you sure about the 'not by seeds'? I can't quite see how this
would work.

> As mentioned by another party, meristem tissue culture is
> normally clean, and traditional vegetative propagation from rapidly
> growing shoots [tip cuttings] of iinfected plants often is virus-free.

Yes, apical meristem may be used for tissue culturing virus-free
plants, but from what I've read, this is not really a feasible
method for amateur 'kitchen sink' TC. The portions selected must
be minute (<1mm,) usually composed of the apical dome alone, with
maybe a leaf primordium or two at most, carefully dissected under
a microscope, and even under professional laboratory conditions the
success rate is low. Perhaps thermotherapy prior to meristem removal
would make this more practical (by allowing a larger explant,) but it
still seems a bit ambitious to me (unless you've got a professional-
grade laboratory, that is.)
Has anyone tried thermotherapy (or any other techniques,) on CPs for
home use?
It strikes me that lowland Neps might be quite slow to exhibit
symptoms of infection, given the temperatures they're grown at,
and might therefore be correspondingly easier to work on in this
manner. Any thoughts anyone?

Happy growing,

Peter

snail:Peter Cole,17 Wimmerfield Cr. :mailto:carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk