Cephalotus leaf form (was Re: Nep-Sarr Genetics)

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 16 Feb 1996 19:59:54 +0000

On 15 Feb 96 at 8:05, lightAlan Bickell wrote:

> What survival advantage is conferred by two leaf forms in Cephalotus?
> Conservation of moisture during a dry period? I thought they lived in bogs.
> Surely it can't be energy effective to discard an entire leaf system twice
> each year.

I don't know an advantage to the two forms, but I certainly don't
find that the leaves are discarded on my two cultivated plants. I get
far more pitcher leaves than the other kind, haven't noticed leaf
form having any particular seasonal dependence, and both kinds last
considerably longer than year.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)