Re: Sowing from Pinguicula alpina/Scottland

Peter Cole (carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 11:35:51 GMT

steiger@iae.unibe.ch (Juerg Steiger) writes:
> BTW Ping. alpina was recorded in the last century from 4 sites northern
> Scottland. Does anyone from the U.K. know whether this species is really
> existing there or is it extinct?

SLACK mentions one site in the Black hole of Cromarty, long extinct
through the agency of man (sorry, I have to paraphrase - I've mislaid
my copy.) I've been up to NW Scotland once, and have to say that
there are *huge* areas that are virtually impassable and unpopulated.
I wouldn't be surprised if there were still some left - the vast
majority of people wouldn't know a P.alpina if it jumped up and bit
them, and as I say, many areas are virtually unreachable, let alone
searchable for a small and relatively inconspicuous plant.
I believe the UKCPS Info sheet lists this species as a possible?
native, but I've mislaid that too.

Happy growing,

Peter

snail:Peter Cole,17 Wimmerfield Cr. :mailto:carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk