Re: FT BLOOMING!!!V

Robert Allen (Robert.Allen@Eng.Sun.COM)
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 08:57:11 -0800

>>------------------------------
>>
>>Topic No. 11
>>
>>Date: Wed, 13 Mar 96 7:59:40 EST
>>From: SSCHIEBREL@OHLCK.ANG.AF.MIL
>>To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
>>Subject: FT BLOOMING!!!V
>>
>>hey all.... just thought i would pass along that after MUCH struggle and
>>experimentation with soil mix that my VFT is developing a flower stalk...
>>just wanted to know if i should leave it or cut it.... ( would hate to cut
>>it cause i'm not sure if it will do it again.

If it lives and is happy it will bloom every year, profusely.
If it lives and is not healthy then you should cut the
stalk back. VFTs often lose nearly all their traps when
blooming, and some bloom their lives away. If your plant
is just coming back from a near death situation then it
may be trying to bloom as a last great act of reproduction.
Don't let it. Force it to put energy into the leaves and
roots, not the stalk. It will bloom again next year.

What has been your problem with the plant? VFTs are pretty
easy to grow once you get the correct conditions: pure water,
lots of light, and a good quality Canadian Spaghnum peat moss,
or a 50/50 peat/perlite mix. Do NOT use Hyponex brand materials,
particularly their so-called "peat". It will kill your CP
in short order.

"Curiousity killed the cat, BUT LOATHSOME RITUALS BROUGHT IT BACK!"

Robert Allen rja@sun.com
DoD #204