Seizure & Co.

Guido.J.Braem@bio.uni-giessen.de
Mon, 25 Mar 1996 16:47:42 +0000

> > Whereas the original posting spoke about 9000
> > seedlings, the issue seems now is about ADULT, WILD
> > COLLECTED plants
>
> To the untrained eye, a dormant adult dionaea might look like a
> 'seedling'

Thanks Phil, so you do agree that the people who 'created' the first
message' had 'untrained' eyes, i. o. w. didn't know what they
did.

> In addition, I doubt the author of the words expected them to be
> scrutinized to the degree that we have done.

So why did he post it? Just to show off that he is with CITES??

> Also, the original posting made no attempt to say whether or not
> the plants were wild collected.

Obviously they did not know. Again not exactly proof of their
professionality.

> > this also shows the danger of 'preliminary postings'
> > without full details. Especially in sensitive cases
> > like CITES, don't post any 'hear say'.

> The original posting was from the CITES-L mailing list, was it
> not? I wouldn't call that hearsay.

No?? What do you call such messages based on data obviously 'created'
on the basis of ignorence?? Why did'nt they wait to post it until it
the facts were clarified?? Obviously, some one at CITES heard about
the sizure and screamed:" We got one!! Lets post it and lets tell all
how great we are!!. The Problem only was that they didn't have a clou
what fish they got on the hook. And some of us who criticized the posting
sure did not get 'bent out of shape'. We just criticized (and
correctly so) the fact that the preliminary posting included a name.
(Remember??? If not, please go back to the archives and reread those
postings.)

By the way, we have discussing the case over here in Europe and in
view of the fact that in the Netherlands, Dioneaea ( and other CPs) are
(as I said in an earlier message) 'produced' in vitro in the hundreds
of thousands, we cannot come up with a logical explanation.
Either the Dutchman was a fool (I have gone through the calculation with
some commercial nurserymen and there is no way he could have made
'real' momey out of this 'business'), or
there must be something more behind this story.

And please, lets not forget that after all, all the information we have
hitherto gotten is from one side (CITES) only.

And by the way (just a comment for our Irish friend), the discussion
of this matter on the CP List is not only worth while but necessary,
as the behaviour of both 'collectors' and 'authorities' will at the
end define how our hobby will progress. And I assume that all the
people on this list are interested in that.

Happy CPing ,
Guido

PS. Thanks to Jan and Peter for the information on culture