RE:In-vitro medium required

Isao Takai (takaicp@sh0.po.iijnet.or.jp)
Tue, 26 Mar 1996 00:09:41 +0900

Dear Paul-san, Loyd-san, and All my friends,

$B!!(JI apologize to you for the recent long silence.$B!!(JI am preparing
tomato production. It continues busily for a while.

Paul-san wrote:
>My good friend Isao told me to use 1/5 MS Media but I'm having trouble
getting a
>supply using this reference. Can anyone expand on this?

Gomennasai! My explanation was insufficient.

Loyd-san wrote:
>MS media = Murashige and Skoog medium Sigma product number
>M 5519. I guess Isao uses one fifth strength - I have seen
>half strength quoted in some articles.

Yes, you are right.

I make the following four thick stock preservation liquids.

I solution
NH4NO3 33g
KNO3 38g
CaCl2(I%(J2H2O 8.8g
MgSO4(I%(J7H2O 7.4g
KH2PO4 3.4g
dissolve above in 1.5 liters of distilled water.
Then, measure up it to 2 liters.

II solution
H3BO3 620mg
MnSO4(I%(J4H2O 2,230mg
ZnSO4(I%(J7H2O 860mg
KI 83mg
Na2MoO4(I%(J2H2O 25mg
CoCl2(I%(J6H2O 2.5mg
CuSO4(I%(J5H2O 2.5mg
dissolve above in 750ml of distilled water.
Then,measure up it to 1 liter.

III solution
Na2-EDTA 3.73g
FeSO4(I%(J7H2O 2.78g
dissolve above in 750ml of distilled water.
Then,measure up it to 1 liter.

IV solution (MS)
myo-Inositol 10g
Glycine 200mg
Pyridoxine Hydrochloride 50mg
Nicotinic Acid 50mg
Thiamine Hydrochloride 10mg

IV solution (LS):Linsmaier and Skoog (RM-1965)
myo-Inositol 10g
Pyridoxine Hydorochloride 40mg
dissolve above in 750ml of distilled water.
Then,measure up it to 1 liter.

The Medium making
dissolve "20ml of I solution, 2-5ml of II solution, 2-5ml of II solution
, and 2-5ml of IV solution" in 750ml of distilled water. Then dissolve
6-30g Saccharose in it. Then,measure up it to 1 liter.
Then, it adjusts it to pH5.6-5.8.
If you use test tubes, the agar is 8 g.
If you use laboratory dishs or flasks, the agar is 10-12 g.
Already complete medium is sold. However, I recommend the method which
I mentioned to you. It can be applied.

If you try tuber Drosera
I recommend the compounding of 1/5MS medium and PSA medium.
Then, give In-vitro tuber Drosera the four seasons.
You will get a lot of micro tubers at the end of the spring.
Those micro tubers are convenient to establish in greenhouse condition.

I wish for your success.
Then, when you are accustomed to In-vitro work, I return In-vitro
Pinguicula filifolia from your seeds to you.

Kind regards from Japan
Isao

P.S. I am assembling Hydrponics systems for the tomato.
Therefore, the silence will continue for a while.