Re: Sarracenia food

Carl Strohmenger (cstrohme@com1.med.usf.edu)
Wed, 27 Mar 1996 10:58:04 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 27 Mar 1996, Carlo A. Balistrieri wrote:

> Hey all, a few weeks ago one of my Sarracenia purpurea had a squiggly thing
> in a pitcher too. A centipede! There's nothing much left of it either. It's
> the largest prey I've been able to document in my own plants.
>
> Anyone else have experience with "invertebrate megafauna?"

Every year I experience an invasion of grasshoppers. They hatch as small
black gh's and grow bigger developing red and yellow stripes. Eventually
they molt and the mature gh's are large yellow monsters with black/red
detailing. I swat these things whenever I find them and drop the squished
remains into the traps of my sarrs. The sarrs seem to like the supplement
to their diet.

- Carl