Re: Re: CITES bashing

Chris Teichreb (teichrch@Meena.CC.URegina.CA)
Tue, 09 Apr 1996 08:58:03 -0600 (CST)

Hi Dave, and everyone else,

> > From: Chris Teichreb <teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA>
> >
> > Yes, I have to agree. Trying to find out who to apply to and
> > what permits are needed, as well as different regulations in different
> > countries can really test your patience. Do you have to go before the
> > CITES committee for all CITES listed CP's? (ie both App I and II). I
> > know in Canada you are very restricted when it comes to App I species.
> > You may only import them if it is part of a scientific study or if you
> > are part of some conservation group. Anyways, saying that you want to
> > grow them in your greenhouse for your own pleasure will end up in you
> > being rejected for the permit.
>
> Is this true of TC'ed plants? If so, this is a major error because
> there is no point to it.
>
> Dave Evans

From what I've been told, it includes everything. Whether grown
in the greenhouse or grown in a test tube, they don't seem to care. I
realize that there is a major error, but I think they're just following
rules that say: If it's on CITES I, don't let it in unless it's for
scientific purposes. I imagine you can probably convince them otherwise,
but would you want to have to talk on the phone for an hour giving a
lecture in ecology and tissue culture?

Chris Teichreb