Re: Intro., fish food during insect shortage?

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 16 Apr 1996 19:05:23 +0100

On 14 Apr 96 at 13:16, Shane E. Wernsing wrote:

> I'm wondering what sort of supplement should be used during the
> winter [for Venus Fly Trap = VFT]
> when flies are not available. I suppose that mealworms and
> small crickets might work. I know that beef is not recommended (too
> much fat/cholesterol?).
> Since I have an aquarium, I keep fairly good track of what sort of
> food I give to my fish. I've noticed that some types of food
> (bloodworms, for example) are quite high in protein and low in fat.
> Can anyone see any problems with using such a food for VFTs and other
> CPs?

I'd suggest just not worrying about it. Really a VFT should be kept
cool enough in Winter that it goes fairly dormant, and won't notice
whether it gets any flies. Mine go semi-dormant, and don't grow, but
still retain a few old traps. I think they go completely leafless for
some other people. I'm not really sure about the bloodworms.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)