Re: Intro., fish food during insect shortage?

John Phillips (phillips@library.ucsf.edu)
Tue, 16 Apr 96 15:04:09 CST

In Message Tue, 16 Apr 1996 14:45:30 -0700,
Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk> writes:

>On 14 Apr 96 at 13:16, Shane E. Wernsing wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering what sort of supplement should be used during the
>> winter [for Venus Fly Trap = VFT]
>> when flies are not available.

I've noticed that some types of food
>> (bloodworms, for example) are quite high in protein and low in fat.
>> Can anyone see any problems with using such a food for VFTs and other
>> CPs?
>
>I'd suggest just not worrying about it. Really a VFT should be kept
>cool enough in Winter that it goes fairly dormant, and won't notice
>whether it gets any flies. Mine go semi-dormant, and don't grow, but
>still retain a few old traps. I think they go completely leafless for
>some other people. I'm not really sure about the bloodworms.
>
>--
>Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Since the blood worms are insect larvae, they should be fine. But I agree
with Clarke about giving them a rest over the winter. Without the chance to
go dormant, VFTs will eventually lose strength and die. Just think how
you'd feel if no one let you sleep. ;-)
John Phillips Email: phillips@library.ucsf.edu
Information Services
UCSF Health Sciences Library Rm 202