Re: 2 new names of _Pinguicula_ from Spain

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Wed, 08 May 96 16:44 EDT

> From: Jan@PBC-THS1.PCI.CHEMIE.UNI-TUEBINGEN.DE(Jan Schlauer)
>
> The authors thought they should describe some Spanish populations of
> _Pinguicula at specific rank. One of which (viz. "P.submediterranea") is
> identical (basionym cited as synonym in protologue!) with _P.longifolia
> subsp.dertosensis_ (Canigueral) mihi. Nothing unusual (despite the
> interesting chromosome count of 2n=48; _P.l.reichenbachiana_ and _P.l.l._
> have 2n=32) is reported in the paper.

?, if the chromosome counts are this different, can plants the plants
cross breed? If not, then it seem to me that even though they appear
to the eye to belong to the same species, even if at subsp. statis,
clearly they do not. Has this been put to the test?

Dave Evans