Re: Building an indoor greenhouse/terrarium

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Wed, 15 May 96 19:13 EDT

> From: btl@MARS.SUPERLINK.NET(Barbara Ling)
>
> anywhos, does anyone have any construction plans for an indoor
> greenhouse/terrarium? i'd like to build one 2'x2'x3' long
> out of plexiglass, with a holder for grow lights at the top.
> any good ideas?

Hi,

Just a couple pointers. 1) you might want to go with a 4 foot
long terrarium. It is a more standard length for lighting. I
think the tubes tend to cost less than those for small systems (?).
If that's not it, you still better light from the longer tubes.
Also you don't need to use grow lights. Infact, using only grow
lights will only cost you more. A mixture, 1/2 and 1/2 using
cool whites and grow-tubes, would be better. 2) some people, I'm
not one of them (I don't use it), have had trouble with their
plexiglass warping in the humidity and heat. I used a wooden
frame to support the lights below that is wire frame, screwed
tight into the wood, used to support a plastic sheet which
incloses the growing area. The front can be adapted for sliding
glass doors. Sorry no plans, we sort of just made it up as we
went along. Allow room for air to flow around the growing area
and lights.

BTW, 55 gal tanks are 4 foot also. Lighting could be rigged
above that as the lids build to fit aquariums don't put out
much light.

Dave Evans