Re: Sarracenia Rubra Jonesii (or is it?)

Phil (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 7 Jun 1996 22:47:44 GMT

In your message dated Thursday 6, June 1996 you wrote :
> Hi All,
> I have a plant sold to me as rubra jonesii which has flowered this
year
> for the 1st time. I was amazed as it has a non-smelling flower which has
> yellow/green sepals, yellow petals with pink edges, and yellow/pink
style. This
> is most unlike jonesii. I haven't checked out the pitcher though it is I
suppose
> 12/13/14" tall, well built and reminiscent of a frilly lidded S. Flava.
Any
> ideas anyone? It's a bit of a bummer as I hate unnamed Sarras and I need
jonesii
> to make my Sarra species collection almost complete..
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Toby

Toby,

Sounds like you've been sold a dud. From the flower colour and the pitcher
shape you probably have a hybrid. From the pitcher it sounds as if theres a
bit of leucophylla in it with presumably something with a yellow flower
(either flava or alata).

It's a real bummer, especially if you've been nurturing the fraud for
years. I have a Jonesii which had flowered for the forst time also this
year and appears to be ssp Rubra instead. As a compensation I also have a
true Jonesii which is producing mature pitchers for the first time since I
germinated the seed three years ago. The pitchers are unmistakable (if you
have Don Schnell's book to compare them with) and the plant is incredibly
slow growing. Three years old and pitchers less than 8 inches tall!

--
Phil Wilson
(cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)