Re: Grey Mold/recurring problems with VFT culture

John Walker (jorwa@ix.netcom.com)
Fri, 21 Jun 1996 17:31:19 -0700

You wrote:

> has anybody tried reversing VFT dormancy/and growing seasons? any
luck? also.. I use an analog Therm/Barometer and the humidity would
>reach 65-75% and sometimes the temps would get up to 78-83 degrees (F)
>Are these temp.'s too warm for my VFT..? Please Any suggestions/help
>would be appreciated!
>Mike Mullaney
>MPM7347@ACS.TAMU.EDU
Mike,
Living in the desert heat I am now in the process of reversing my VFT's
growing season. I hope to experiment with growing plants outdoors
during the Winter and letting them go dormant during the Summer (in the
fridge) when the temps are over 110F. I keep the humidity around 70%
and temps range where they will, well over 90F during the Summer day.
So far no mold :) However I have developed what may be a red spider
mite problem :( I can't see the buggers, even with a 20x loupe, but
the leavess and traps in one enclosure are twisting and the traps are
deformed. I do battle this weekend. As I use a swamp cooler during
the summer there is a pretty good air flow through the enclosure, and I
think this helps control mold/fungi. Hope this helps :)

John Walker