Re: RE: Rooting Nepenthes in Water Update

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Sat, 22 Jun 96 01:11 EDT

> From: "Demetrio Lamzaki" <Dee_Lamzaki@MSN.COM>
>

> I've only potted one plant so far, the N. ventricosa, and knock on
> wood the plant is thriving. Like Joe Mazrimas I found the roots to be
> substantive, they were a lot less brittle than Heliamphora for
> example, but of course I urge a lot of caution when potting one up.
> Whatever method works best for you is what's important, so far for me
> this one has been the most rewarding.

Hi,

What you will probably find out is that some plants will actually
do better using one method over the other and visa versa. Also,
highland Nep's are not any more less likely to strike. You just
have to keep in mind what sort of plants you are dealing with.
Highlanders do better in cooler temps so if you have a greenhouse
it's wise to take the cuttings in late fall when temps are down
and they have all winter to grow and establish themselves. Low-
landers, of course, would be best taken in the later spring for
the same reasons. Of course having a greenhouse or not (like me)
doesn't really matter if you can get the temp's close what the
plants want. I still use the cold temps in winter for rooting
highland plants by placing the terrarium I'm rooting them in
where it will be exposed to the cool air (it's around 50-60~F that
time of year) down in my cellar. In the terrarium, day temps are
65-70~F and night 50-55~F. I'm sure others can find different
ways to use this winter/summer flux to benefit their strike % also.

Dave Evans

P.S. So far the only Nep cuttings I've killed are the ones that I
dried out and that number is pretty low, around four out of
several dozen! None have died from not rooting and rotting.